Sian Highwood LSDC
Stitched & Constructed Textiles
The beauty of the natural environment is what drives Sian Highwood to create textile art exploring the relationship between the garment, the body and the environment. The work involves using cloth and form to communicate and prompt responses and recollections. This development of the practice was initiated during the MA studies in 2019.
It is felt that the combination of nature and textiles is something that makes perfect sense. It is taking the everyday, the fallen leaves and dropped petals of a flower, and using it to enhance another everyday item: cloth. The use of cloth and stitching, with the garment being a favoured outcome because of its emotional content and use as a signifier, is favoured.
- 2019 MA Textiles (Distinction), University for the Creative Arts, Farnham
- 1989 BA Hons Textile Design and Design Management, University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST)
- 2021 The Makers' Art Collective Spring Showcase, Chichester.
- 2020 Making Matters - Lion & Lamb Yard, Farnham Surrey.
- 2019 Connected, The Makers’ Art Collective - gallery@OXO, OXO Tower Wharf, London.
- 2018 Remastered - Craft Study Centre, Farnham, Surrey.
- 2018/9 Artist in Residence, Savile Garden, Windsor.