Join the Society
The society promotes and supports the work of creative thinkers, designers and makers who continue to innovate in the crafts through their exploration of materials and skills.
We are a friendly community of like-minded people, who value quality craftsmanship, the importance of learning skills, educating others about craft and working to make craft accessible.
Join us as an established designer maker, a student or become a Friend of the Society who will support our charitable activities and allow us to continue to seek out and champion new craftspeople.
Selected Membership is subject to an application being made and assessment of work by the Selection Committee. Selected members may exhibit their work with the Society, have post nominal letters and will be featured on the Society website with a maker page.
Our full membership (MSDC) is for established designer makers with several years of experience who are personally involved in the design, control and production of finely crafted works.
We have a long tradition of and commitment to nurturing emerging and developing talents in designer craftsmanship. In 1973, we established our successful Licentiate membership, with the aim of providing designer makers with a bridge between being a student/emerging maker and becoming an established, confident and accomplished designer maker.
Both Licentiates and full Members must fulfil the Society's requirement to demonstrate exceptional skill and individuality, as well as showing future creative and commercial potential.
The Annual Membership fees are £50 for Licentiates and £75 for Full Members
Membership affords the following benefits:
- Professional accreditation and certification as an elected member of the Society of Designer Craftsmen via our Selection Committee
- Right to use post nominal letters
- Create your own Maker’s Profile on the Society’s Website
- Participate in our members’ only online forum
- Ability to submit your practice related news and events on the Society’s Website
- Opportunity to apply to exhibit at the Society’s annual Designer Crafts exhibition
- Receive a quarterly newsletter of Society/member news
- Right to attend the Society’s Annual General Meeting
- Receive Invitations to Private Views
(£15 non-refundable fee for processing of application)
Criteria for Acceptance
Our Assessors are looking for a special ‘something’ when they assess a maker for selected membership of the Society. Selected members are encouraged to show their work in Society exhibitions and are therefore representatives of the Society and its core values.