The Society of Designer Craftsmen is a Registered Charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee. For the purpose of GDPR the Society is the Data Controller.
We are committed to protecting any personal information we obtain about you, whether you are a member, a Supporter, Donor, Friend or a visitor to our website. We may share your information which we process where it is required by law or regulation, or necessary for a legitimate reason connected with the services we offer.
We will not sell or pass your information on to any third parties for the purposes of marketing.
Our website data is stored on secure servers managed by an agent contracted to the Society. We do not transfer data outside of the European Economic Area (EEA).
- Information we collect from you
- We do not collect “sensitive personal data”.
- We will collect personal information based on the minimum required to enable us to operate efficiently, and to meet the requirements of our compliance and legal obligations, and the terms of our relationship and contract with you.
- We will collect the data and Information you provide when you submit application forms by mail or on our website for membership and for upgrade; for access to events and activities organised by the Society, for members registering to use our website or to hire the Society Gallery. Personal information we collect will include your name, membership status, postal address, telephone number(s), email address and website.
- Also details from financial transactions when you make payment for subscriptions, events and activities organised by the Society and hiring the Gallery for events.
- Information, such as card or bank details, will be transmitted to our web server using a 'secure form' in which your details are encrypted using the most secure encryption level available.
- We may also correspond by post and we may keep a record of any other correspondence we receive from you including contact details.
- Subscribers and Visitors to our website
- If you are registering to receive notices of events and activities we will only use your information for that purpose.
- We will only request your name and email address.
- We will not sell or pass your information on to any third parties.
- We may collect information about how you use our website and track which pages users visit. This information is used to monitor and improve our website. This is usually anonymous or combined data that does not identify individuals. See further information about cookies below.
- How we use your data
- Under Article 6 of GDPR our lawful bases for holding and processing your information are "Legitimate Interests" and "Contract".
- We process personal and financial information to:- i) enable us to administer our membership records and activities including fundraising; maintaining our accounts and records. ii) support and manage our staff and volunteers, friends and subscribers. iii) provide our services to you. iv) meet our legal and compliance obligations as a Charity.
- The Members website area
- Where we have given you a password which enables you to access the members' area of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
- You must ensure that you maintain your profile by updating any changes to your contact details.
- If you do not have online access you may request an application form to submit your data by post to The Society of Designer Craftsmen, 24 Rivington Street, London, EC2A 3DU.
- Your data and this Policy
- Individuals have the right to have personal data erased under Article 17 of the GDPR sometimes known as the ‘right to be forgotten’. The right is not absolute and only applies in certain circumstances.
- The Society will respond promptly to requests from Friends, subscribers and visitors to our site who request to have their information updated or removed.
- Data will be removed unless it is required to meet our legal and compliance obligations as a Charity. After removal it will mean that we will no longer be able to contact you.
- The right to erasure does not apply to members because processing is necessary to fulfil our compliance and legal obligations.
- We may retain data on makers such as names, membership status and Craft information but not contact details for archiving purposes in the public interest, educational research and historical research where erasure is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the achievement of that processing.
- Members have the choice on the Society website to indicate which personal information in their profile they wish to be available to visitors to the site.
- Members may request that their data is deleted if they resign their membership.
A cookie is a small file which is placed on your computer by a site when you visit it. Basic cookies contain the site name and a unique user ID.
- We place some essential cookies on your computer to allow you to do important things on our site, like create an account, log in and out and post contributions. These facilities will not work without cookies.
- They also enable us to gather statistical information to estimate our audience size and usage patterns about users browsing. This statistical data does not identify any individual.
- If you select a function on our website that is associated with Face book, Twitter and LinkedIn (e.g. to share or tweet a piece of information), they will place third party cookies on your computer. We do not take responsibility for these cookies, as you will have already accepted the terms and conditions of use with the relevant party.