Jennifa N Chowdhury MSDC
Surface Patterned Textiles
Jennifa Chowdhury is a Printed Textile Designer | Artist. After graduating from Nottingham Trent University with a BA (Hons) in Textile Design, 1993. She worked as an in-house designer at a London studio and has regularly freelanced for several agencies in London before moving to Zurich where she received regular commissions before returning to the UK in 2010. Jennifa graduated from the University for the Creative Arts with a Masters in Textiles in 2019. She now divides her time between freelance clients and producing innovative surface design, exploring intricate laser-cut and sculpted textiles/artworks and commissions based in Winchester, Hampshire. Alongside pursuing a PhD at the University for the Creative Arts, her research aims to investigate contemporary expressions of identity and heritage through textile design, especially pattern creation.
She endeavours to evoke, re-imagine and communicate subjects of culture, memory and time connected in the visual representation and aesthetic consideration made through her work. Form is communicated through large scale site-specific installations, while pushing production concepts through applied digital technology, unconventional materials and scale. Other pieces are functional with decorative elements which support the large-scale installation works that create a visual of multiple and individual engagement. Jennifa wishes to question and challenge the possibilities and pre-conceptions of print and textiles and redefine these through the manipulation of material, pattern and colour.
- Wiltshire Creative Summer Open 2020, Salisbury Arts Centre, 25 August – 10 October 2020
- Farnham Craft Month 2019, The Maltings, Farnham - October 2019
- Connected – The Makers’ Art Collective The Oxo Gallery, Oxo Tower Wharf, September 2019
- Graduation exhibition - James Hockey Gallery, UCA Farnham - September 2019
- Heathland Artworks Surrey Heath, Site specific Installation - June - September 2018
- ReMastered – Crafts Study Centre - June – September 2018
- Fresh Encounters Link Gallery, Winchester - 2017
- Encounters Link Gallery, Winchester - 2016
- Alpana Art Cafe Jewery Street, Winchester, 2015
- Die Tagesschau Streiff Areal, Wetzikon, 2008
- American Women’s Club Zurich, 2007
- MA Textiles - University for the Creative Arts (Farnham) - 2019
- PTTLS - Teacher Training in the Life Long Sector - Northern College, Wentworth Castle in Barnsley - 2012
- BA(Hons) - Textile Design - Nottingham Trent University - 1993
Jennifa’s life outside of her making consists of recent professional roles as, EA to Postgraduate Taught/Research Centre/The Winchester Gallery at the Winchester School of Art, University of Southampton.