Jennifa Chowdhury MSDC
Surface Patterned Textiles
Jennifa was fortunate enough to have been brought up in a South Asian family alongside a northern English cultural heritage. As a result, she has often found herself in the position of an outside observer. Lacking claims for ownership to any single culture, but thanks to this she has freely collected visual experiences from a huge range of sources, sometimes with an unknowing or innocent disregard for their original contexts.
She endeavours to evoke, re-imagine and communicate subjects of culture, memory and time connected in the visual representation and aesthetic consideration made through her work. Form is communicated through large scale site-specific installations, while pushing production concepts through applied digital technology, unconventional materials and scale. Other pieces are functional with decorative elements which support the large-scale installation works that create a visual of multiple and individual engagement. Jennifa wishes to question and challenge the possibilities and pre-conceptions of print and textiles and redefine these through the manipulation of material, pattern and colour.
- Wiltshire Creative Summer Open 2020, Salisbury Arts Centre, 25 August – 10 October 2020
- Farnham Craft Month 2019, The Maltings, Farnham - October 2019
- Connected – The Makers’ Art Collective The Oxo Gallery, Oxo Tower Wharf, September 2019
- Graduation exhibition - James Hockey Gallery, UCA Farnham - September 2019
- Heathland Artworks Surrey Heath, Site specific Installation - June - September 2018
- ReMastered – Crafts Study Centre - June – September 2018
- Fresh Encounters Link Gallery, Winchester - 2017
- Encounters Link Gallery, Winchester - 2016
- Alpana Art Cafe Jewery Street, Winchester, 2015
- Die Tagesschau Streiff Areal, Wetzikon, 2008
- American Women’s Club Zurich, 2007
- MA Textiles - University for the Creative Arts (Farnham) - 2019
- PTTLS - Teacher Training in the Life Long Sector - Northern College, Wentworth Castle in Barnsley - 2012
- BA(Hons) - Textile Design - Nottingham Trent University - 1993
Jennifa’s life outside of her making consists of recent professional roles as, EA to Postgraduate Taught/Research Centre/The Winchester Gallery at the Winchester School of Art, University of Southampton.