Margot Eardley MSDC
All Margot's prints are hand made by her, from the creation of the image & plate though to passing the image though her press. She mostly works with Aquatint, Zinc Etching and Lino, depending on the image being worked on.
She is really excited by the colour and texture she observes in the natural world and she is always looking for new ways to express this. She sometimes applies colour “a le Poupee” directly pushing ink into the zinc etching plate with her fingers, which feels primal. Etching as a craft is many hundreds of years old.
Margot also uses layers of opaic colour, cutting away the lino plate between each colour rolled onto the lino, where there is no return, producing vibrant bright clear images that jump out.
Multi plates are very time consuming but so rewarding. Margot uses these with both Lino and Zinc etching processes. Using transparent inks which produce even more colour combinations where they overlap. Registration of these multi plates is an art in itself, another adrenalin rush! She loves printmaking because there is always more to learn, a very humbling occupation.
We are sure that you will like her work.
- Royal Cambrian Academy Annual Open - Conwy Wales.
- St Barbs Open-St Barbs Museum & Gallery Lymington. (Highly commended)
- Red Hot Press 2021- Hilliers Gardens Gallery, Romsey, Hampshire.
- Derby Print Open Virtual Exhibition.
- Allen Gallery Open - Alton Hampshire.
- Hampshire open Studios
- Mayflower 400 Print exchange - Gods House Tower Gallery, Southampton.
- Mayflower 400 Inky Hands Gallery - Massachusetts, USA
- Beyond Four Walls by Artisans Now - Oxmarket Gallery Chichester.
- 20:20 International Print Exchange - Red Hot Press, Southampton.
- Beside the Sea - Chalks Gallery Lymington
- St Barbe Open ( Highly Commended ) - St Barbs Museum & Gallery Lymington
- Journey, Migration & the Sea - Southampton Art Gallery, Open exhibition.
- Print Diploma Exhibition - Red Hot Press
- Spring - Chalks Gallery Lymington
- Hampshire Open Studios - The Nutshell Gallery Winchester
- Smoked Uncut, Limewood Hotel New Forest Hampshire - Shop Creative
- International Print Exchange - Green Door Studios, Derby
- Red Hot Press Printmakers 2019 - Hilliers Gardens Gallery, Romsey, Hampshire.
- Colbury Art & Craft Fair - Ashurst, New Forest
- 20:20 international Print Exchange - Red Hot Press, Southampton.
- Mottisfont Abbey Open - National Trust Romsey, Hampshire
- Print Foundation Exhibition - Red Hot Press, Southampton
- Colbury Art & Craft Fair, Ashurst Hampshire
Work / Qualifications
- 1982 Fine Art Foundation - Southampton School of Art
- 1983 Diploma Fashion & design
- 1985 Margot Eardley Designs - Designed made & exported exclusive jumpers to the Dutch market
- 1986 - 2017 window dresser / Visual Merchandiser
- 2018 Foundation in Fine Art Printmaking - Red Hot Press Southampton
- 2018 Became a member of Cowprint Members Group
- 2019 Diploma in Fine Art Printmaking - Red Hot Press, Southampton
- 2019 Opened my own Printmaking Studio
- 2019 Creative Director of Artisans Now! - An Exhibiting collective