Louise Nason MSDC
After graduating from The University of Creative Arts with a Masters In Contemporary Textile Design, Louise continued to work with the university; firstly as a Research Associate and then as an Artist in Residence.
Her first solo exhibition 'A woven response to space' took place in 2010. This concluded an eight-month residency at St George's Arts, Esher. Louise set up her floor-based Countermarch loom in the North Aisle of the redundant Tudor church. Her site-specific commission worked directly in response to the light and colours of the building. The contemporary pieces added contrast to its historical setting.
Louise set up her first weave studio in The Medicine Garden, Cobham, where she enjoyed working for 4 years hand weaving a range of Cashmere scarves on a Countermarch floor loom. Since then, Louise’s textile practice has developed to include print design for interior textiles. Louise currently works from home.
Commissions - Louise produces handwoven interior textiles working in domestic, corporate and public spaces, ranging from textiles for window panels, screens or wall hangings. Her contemporary unique designs will add an interesting addition to any space.
• Artist in Residence 2007-2008 at the University College for the creative Arts.
• Research Associate 2006-2007 at the University College for the creative Arts. Furthering my exploration into the technique of Ikat yarn dyeing.
• MA Contemporary Crafts woven textiles 2003-2005
• BA Hons Woven textiles. 2000-2003 2:1 Surrey Institute of Art and Design University College.
Experience in both printed and woven textiles, with concentration on woven textiles.
In depth practical research into natural dyes.
Dissertation exploring the history of Turkey Red Dye.
• Central St Martins. 1999-2000 Art foundation Merit
• 2014 The Medicine Garden Art Festival.
• 2013 Festival of crafts. Craft show at Farnham Maltings.
• 2013 Thread. Textile show at Farnham Maltings.
• 2010 Fabrication Solo exhibition St Georges Arts Esher
• 2009 Dittons Library
• 2007 New Ashgate Gallery Textiles exhibition.
• 2006 Chelsea Crafts Fair
• 2005 James Hockey Gallery MA show
• 2005 New Designers Islington Design Centre
• 2004 Oxo Tower Part of the Society of Designer Makers Exhibition.
• 2003 New Designers Islington Design Centre
• 2003 Mall Galleries B.A. Degree Show
• 2014 Private commission for window panel ikat dyed
• 2014 Private commission for decorative hallway panel
• 2004 Commission undertaken for John Makepeace. Comprising of six Hand woven window Panels. Designed and dyed by hand to a specific brief.
• Society of Designer Makers Licentiate member.
• Maltings Makers Textile Network. Sponsored by The Ashley Foundation
• Crafts Magazine, No 215 Nov/Dec 2008, Good Vibrations
• The Times Magazine, January 12th 2008, Makers Mark