Fabrizia Bazzo MSDC
Glass Making & Stained Glass
After spending 23 years working at the accounting department of a large industrial corporation in Italy Fabrizia moved to England in 1996 and started teaching herself traditional techniques such as painting on glass, extended further through experimentation.
Today, she enjoys the freedom of using a mix of techniques, traditional or cutting edge, as well as digital technology to interpret her designs. She likes to create works that have texture, are multi-layered and that you discover gradually.
Glass is a seductive material in itself and it is its intrinsic qualities, plus the constant interplay with light that spur her creativity. Sometimes ideas have distant origins, and they become clearer as the work progresses; other times the work is a response to a personal need to expose feelings, creating a tension between the aesthetic qualities of the medium and the meaning.
Fabrizia has received numerous awards for her designs, including winning the prestigious Stevens Architectural Glass Competition awarded by the Worshipful Company of Glaziers on two occasions.
She has worked with some of the leading European architectural glass design and conservation studios. She also works in collaboration with other artists, not just glass artists, combining her own experience and style with others to create works that push the boundaries of the medium.
- 2010: Winner of The Stevens Architectural Glass Competition 2010 awarded by the Worshipful Company of Glaziers
- 2009: Contemporary Craft Fellowship – Professional planning and development bursary. Awarded by Crafts Council, Arts Council South West and ArtsMatrix.
- 2009: Selected for the Artist Access to Art Colleges Scheme (hosted by Plymouth College of Art)
- 2007: Winner of The Stevens Architectural Glass Competition 2007 awarded by the Worshipful Company of Glaziers
- 2004: Judged “Best Glass in Show” at The Contemporary Craft Fair, Bovey Tracey
- 2004: Winner of The David Canter Memorial Fund for glass
Public Commissions & Major Private Commissions:
- 2015: St. Mary’s Church, Whitelackington – Memorial Window
- 2014: St. Bedes’s RC School, Blackburn – Window, entrance screen and glass panels for Prayer Room
- 2013: Window for private residence
- 2012: Window for private residence
- 2011: Glass installation for private residence
- 2011: Salisbury District Hospital New Children’s Unit – Installation of glass artworks in main reception area (collaborative project with Michelle Keeling)
- 2010: Internal glazed dividing wall for private residence
- 2009: Yeovil Hospital, Somerset – Window for Multi-faith Chapel
- 2008/09: Peninsula Dental School, Plymouth – Glass installation for entrance foyer
- 2008: Wandsworth Acute Unit, St. Georges NHS Mental Health Trust, London – Design of glass manifestations
- 2007/08: Series of 8 windows for a private residence
- 2007: Yeovil Hospital, Somerset – Glass installations in Kingston Wing
- 2006: Internal screen for private residence
- 2005: Musgrove Hospital, Taunton – Stained glass window for the Bereavement Room