Elizabeth Sinkova MSDC
Glass Making & Stained Glass
The first time Elizabeth fell in love with the magical medium of glass was in her early childhood: she grew up surrounded by glass, as both her parents are glass artists and creatives.
Proudly continuing the legacy in her Yorkshire studio, Elizabeth designs and creates hand-made glass for a variety of architectural and residential locations, as well as exhibitions.
‘Bringing the outside in’ often communicates Elizabeth’s inspirations from nature, which she celebrates and infuses into the glass with colour, textures and light. She creates through a combination of traditional and contemporary techniques such as hand painting, etching, fusing, airbrushing and embellishing with precious metals. All hand painted decorations are kiln fired, and along with all other processes, the art is weather friendly and permanent with the potential to last for many centuries.
Through glass Elizabeth conveys her vision, creating special bespoke pieces that are not only an uplifting compliment to buildings and their surroundings, but also bringing an aesthetical element which as the power to evoke positive feelings and sensory reactions for the viewer.
She says, “Nature has become the inexhaustible source of inspiration for most of my designs. Also the influence of light enables me to capture new ideas and integrate them into the architectural artwork. Those qualities are embedded in suggestive images which approach both the viewer’s feelings and sensory reactions.”
- 2023 Pilchuck Glass School Fellowship. The international center for glass education in Washington, USA invited Elizabeth to become a fellow of the renowned glass school, founded by glass artist Dale Chihuly
- 2022 Professional Stained Glass Roundel Competition Winner -Glass Roundel created for the Lord Mayor of London, Sir William Russell.
- 2011 Award for Excellence, The Worshipful Company of Glaziers and Painters of Glass - The award provided 40 weeks of residence at a number of prestigious glass studios within the UK and Germany.
- Initially, Elizabeth spent four years studying glass painting at Europe's oldest School of Glassmaking in the Czech Republic and then gained a First Class Honours Degree in Architectural Glass at Swansea University.
- Award for Excellence provided Elizabeth 40 weeks of residence at a number of prestigious glass studios within the UK and Germany, which allowed for expansion of her skills and knowledge in the field of stained glass.
- Elizabeth's working relationship included Cathedrals and leading glass studios for many years, during which time she was invigorating her passion for contemporary stained glass through projects and commissions she had the opportunity to work on within the UK and Europe.
- International Biennale of Glass, Sofia, Bulgaria
- Selected Contemporary Landscapes, Fronteer Gallery, Sheffield
- Glorious Glass, Artizan Gallery, Torquay, UK
- Bedazzled Exhibition, CGS, Pyramid Gallery, York
- The Joy of Glass, Craft Centre & Design Gallery, Leeds
2021 – 2022
- British Society of Master Glass Painters, Touring Exhibition