Karl Owen MSDC
Karl's current work revolves around the idea of beauty and simple aesthetic ceramic forms. Nature plays a large role in the inspiration for both design and decoration of the pieces. Endeavouring to create a one-off surface each time by taking advantage of the unique characteristics of plants and other organic materials collected locally. Looking for a random, layered and abstracted finish, as a maker, he has the capacity to exploit the variables of surface, form and scale without necessarily wanting the surface to look too contrived or for each plant to be clearly identified on the surface.
- Royal Polytechnic Falmouth (2018 to date). Running a small pottery studio, teaching throwing and hand building, as well as a range of children’s ceramic workshops and taster days with a local community group in the summer months. This is alongside developing a new body of work to be released early 2024.
- Sessional Youth support worker March 2018 - 2022, Dracaena Centre, Falmouth. Working predominately with teenagers as well as with other groups.
- LRTT Fellowship, July/August 15th 2017 Kathmandu, Nepal. Working with teachers in and around Kathmandu. Offering CPD to teachers and developing good working practices.
- Cornwall College, St Austell, 1999-2017, former Team Lead for the Art & Design Dept. Glass and Ceramic lecturer, Course Manager and Tutor, 1999 - 2013, Level 3 Art and Design/ ABC Foundation/ Access to HE Students
- B.A. Three Dimensional Ceramics, Farnham University,1994.. Specialised in hand-building, low fired, Salt and Soda firing techniques. Eco and recycled kiln design and construction. Outside gas, wood-fired kilns, Raku, Sawdust and Saggar firing techniques. Glazing and pre/post firing techniques.
- HND Design Ceramics, Falmouth School of Art, Sept 1989 – 1991.
Specialised in Raku and Dry Copper firing. Stoneware, terracotta and slip casting.
Ceramic Exhibitions/ Gallery 1995-2023
- Tower Bridge, London.
- New Designers
- Out Of The Blue Gallery, Marizion
- Up And Above Gallery, Falmouth
- Ocean Contemporary, Falmouth
- Block House Gallery, Falmouth
- The Square Gallery, St Mawes
- Horizon Gallery, Land’s End
- Tide lines Gallery, Perranporth
- Wolf at The Door Gallery, Falmouth
- Rainy day Gallery, Penzance
- HND Finals, Smith’s Gallery, London
- Rooster and Rat Gallery, Penzance
- Whitegold Exhibition, St Austell
- White River Exhibition, St Austell
- Wild Collective, Thrown Contemporary, London 2022
- Galleri Rodhusgaarden, Denmark
- Trelissick gallery, Cornwall
- London potters annual exhibition, Morley Gallery, London
- Ruup and Form, London