Nici Ruggiero MSDC
After a career spanning more than twenty years in the Veterinary Profession, Nici subsequently embarked upon a full-time Applied Arts degree and graduated in 2007. Since pursuing this new direction, her focus has primarily been on ceramic processes and experimentation with a variety of materials.
Nici’s work falls into two distinct categories, both of which draw from a monochromatic pallet.
The first of these is characterised by large, sculptural pieces of resist raku, embodying an aesthetic consideration for balance, form and beauty. These ceramics are bound by the limitations of indoor display, due to their low-temperature firing. Held in private collections in the UK, as well as internationally, these works have been widely exhibited in select shows.
The second strand of her portfolio is comprised of larger-scale projects, supported by Arts Council England awards. These are conceptual, site-specific works and formed of intimate installations of porcelain pieces, generally exhibited outside in multiple numbers. They bear poignant historic text, and incorporate themes of superstition, remedy, curse and cure.
- Nici studied Bachelor of Arts degree in Applied Arts, achieving First Class Honours at the University of Hertfordshire.
- She demonstrated her hand-building skills to an audience at the opening of the new Ceramics Department event, in the Victoria & Albert Museum in London.
- And for Members of the Society of Designer Craftsmen, at their AGM, Nici gave a presentation on her site-specific solo exhibition "Curse or Cure?" Chelsea Physic Garden.
- Work selected and exhibited at the launch event of the British Ceramics Biennial, Stoke-on-Trent
- She is a member of the London Potters Society, Herts Visual Arts Forum and is also an Associate Member of the Crafts Potters Association. She was awarded full membership of the Society of Designer Craftsmen in 2010.
- 2023 Wonder, Society of Designer Craftsmen, Oxmarket Contemporary, Chichester
- 2017 Fifteen, London Potters Selected Exhibition, Menier Gallery, London
- 2015 Curse or Cure?, solo exhibition within medicinal quadrant, Chelsea Physic Garden, London
- 2012 Fire Works Ceramics & Glass, Blackthorpe Barn, Suffolk
- 2012 Art in Clay, Hatfield House, Herts
- 2011 Out of the Fire, Parndon Mill, Harlow
- 2011 Art in Clay, Hatfield House, Hertfordshire
- 2010 Raku, The Gallery at Bevere, Worcester
- 2010 Artist in Residence, Luton Hoo Walled Garden, Bedfordshire
- 2010 Art in Clay, Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire
- 2009 Open, Exhibition, Margaret Harvey Gallery, St Albans, Herts
- 2009 Keep Off the Grass, outside installation, Art in the Garden, Hillier Gardens, Hampshire
- 2009 Summer Show, View Art Gallery, Bristol
- 2009 Melody Exhibition, SDC Gallery, London
- 2009 Designer Crafts, Society of Designer Craftsmen, Mall Galleries, London
- 2008 Work selected & exhibited at the launch or the British Ceramics Biennial , Stoke-On-Trent
- 2008 New Designers, One Year On, Business Design Centre, London
- 2008 Setting Out, New Brewery Arts, Gloucestershire
- 2008 New Beginnings, The Gallery at Bevere, Worcester
- 2008 Setting Out, CPA Contemporary Ceramics, London
- 2015 Grant for Arts Award, Arts Council England, for ceramic installation Curse or Cure?, Chelsea Physic Garden, London
- 2009 Prize for Best Piece from a Welwyn Hatfield Artist, Open Exhibition, Margaret Harvey Gallery, St Albans
- 2009 Grant for Arts Award, Arts Council England, for ceramic installation Keep off the Grass, Art in the Garden exhibition, Sir Harold Hillier Gardens, Hants
- 2018 Featured in 'Captured Landscapes' The Paradox of the Enclosed Garden - published by Routledge
- 2016 Heimtextil Trends: Messe Frankfurt Exhibition, Germany – global vision of upcoming interior trends
- 2015 Ceramic Review, A trail of healing, Gabrielle Hoad visits Curse or Cure?
- 2015 Ceramic Review, Pick of ceramic shows, Apothecary’s Trail
- 2015 London Potters News: Curse or Cure?
- 2015 British Studio Potters’ Marks’ Book, published by Bloomsbury, 3rd Edition
- 2011 500 Raku Book, published by Lark Crafts
- 2009 Society of Designer Craftsmen Newsletter
- 2009 Ceramic Review, Studio Wagon by Gillian Osborne
- 2008 Craftsman Magazine, New Designers Showcase, One Year On
- 2008 Crafts Magazine, New Designers Advertorial, Degree Show Focus
- 2008 Ceramic Review, Setting Out Show Selection
- 2008 Video profile interview, Mall Galleries, British Satellite News
- 2007 Axis Magazine, Freeform Exhibition at Artshed
- 2006 Science v Art, Spaces Magazine, University of Hertfordshire
- Direct via www.nakedpots.com