Janice Gunner MSDC
Stitched & Constructed Textiles
Janice studied at the University for the Creative Arts, Farnham where she obtained an MA in Contemporary Crafts (Textiles). She works with a wide range of fabrics, mostly hand dyed, to make wall hangings using both hand and machine stitching. She is an expert in Shibori dyeing techniques and has written a book; "Shibori for Textile Artists" which has been reprinted several times.
Whist hand dyed fabrics are her main medium she also works with African and Japanese fabrics. She exhibits her work widely both in solo and group exhibitions and judges, from time to time, at The Festival of Quilts and in Japan. She has also been a jury member for several textile awards.
Janice teaches both nationally and internationally.
- 2020 MA Contemporary Craft (Textiles) Merit. University for the Creative Arts (Farnham).
- 2001 Diploma in Stitched Textiles. Buckingham Chiltern University (Windsor)
- 2010 Shibori for Textile Artists (reprint, 2006 original publication date) Janice Gunner. Batsford
- 2010 Liberating Log Cabin - Janice Gunner. Self published
- Various journal and magazine articles and contributions to other authors' books
- The Quilters Guild of the British Isles
- Bernina U.K. (Bogod)
- Many private collections
Upcoming and recent Exhibitions
Tansa - Japanese Threads of Influence, (Held in the hand pieces) Craft Study Centre, Farnham and GalleryGallery, Kyoto
Tansa - Japanese Threads of Influence (large pieces) South Hill Park, Bracknell
African Odyssey - A Common Thread, Open Door Gallery, Berkhamstead
African Odyssey - A Common Thread, Virtual Gallery talks, online on zoom until 20th October
The Techniques Shaping Japanese Textiles, The Embassy of Japan,
CQ London (Contemporary Quilt) at The Knitting & Stitching Shows, London, Dublin and Harrogate
Connections - with New Horizons Textile Group at The Festival of Quilts, Birmingham
Stone+Water+Wood with Susan Denton and Cherry Vernon-Harcourt at The Festival of Quilts, Birmingham
- 2019 Lifetime Achievement Award from Immediate Media (The Festival of Quilts)
- 2018 Medal for Excellence as a Lecturer - City & Guilds - Bucks Adult Learning, Missenden Abbey
- 2008 Honorary Membership - The Quilters Guild of the British Isles
- 2008 “The Amy Emma’s MBE” award for services to quilting, Quilts U.K.
- 1999 The “Jewel Pearce Scholarship for International Quilt Teachers”, Quilt Market & Festival, Houston, Texas
Janice is a self employed textile artist and teacher. She leads tours as a textile expert for Arena Travel and recently joined the team at the World Textile Day events in the U.K. where she sells and exhibits Japanese fabric.