Wendy Dolan FSDC
Stitched & Constructed Textiles
Wendy is a textile artist inspired by landscapes, architecture and natural forms. Maps give a 'sense of place' in her designs. She exhibits, lectures and teaches workshops nationally and internationally. Her wide ranging work includes wall hangings, pictures and garments. She is the author of the Search Press bestselling book ‘Layer, Paint and Stitch’.
Biography Back to top
Wendy’s work is inspired by the landscape, architecture and natural forms, incorporating maps in her series ‘A Sense of Place’. She combines a variety of techniques, creating richly textured surfaces. Fabrics are layered, painted and stitched and designs are developed into pictures, wall hangings and garments. She works to commission and has designed for both private and corporate clients.
Resumé Back to top
- BEd Hons degree in Art and Textiles
- Diploma in Creative Stitched Textiles.
- Fellow of the Society of Designer Craftsmen
- Sussex Guild of Designer Makers
- Annual exhibitions Standen House NT. from 2005
- Sussex Guild Exhibitions
- National Open Textile Exhibition - 2017
- Selected Exhibitions
- Designer Crafts at Chelsea 2018
- Society of Designer Craftsmen Mall Galleries
- Art In Action – Waterperry, Oxfordshire – 2006-2016
- Mapping the Way – Walford Mill Crafts - 2013
- Artworks incorporating maps, memorable places and journeys.
- Embroidered Wedding garments
- Embroidered motifs for Worshipful Company of Cooks Gowns.
- ‘Aspiring Arches’ - a millennium wall-hung textile (8.2 x 3.42m) for Ashridge, Herts. 1999
- Let’s Dance - embroidered stage curtain (13m x 4.5m) for the Royal Caribbean Cruise Liner, ‘Grandeur of the Seas’ 1996
- Starlight Serenade - embroidered stage curtain (13m x 4.5m) for the Royal Caribbean Cruise Liner, ‘Legend of the Seas’ 1994
- West Hoathly Church - a set of embroidered pulpit falls
- Hurstpierpoint College, Sussex - 6 embroidered house banners.
- Freelance Tutor in Stitched Textiles specialising in freehand machine embroidery.
- West Dean College – Sussex – short course tutor
- Adult Education – City College Brighton 1990 - 2012
Books / Articles / Features
- WOW Book 04 – d4Daisy Books Ltd 2019
- Layer, Paint and Stitch - Search Press 2015
- Connecting Design to Stitch - Sandra Meech - Batsford 2012
- Layered Textiles - Kim Thittichai - Batsford 2011
- Experimental Textiles - Kim Thittichai - Batsford 2009
- Stitch - ‘All Projects, Great and Small’ - December 2015
- Stitch – August / September 2012
- Workshop on the Web – ‘Architectural Textures’ - March 2011
- ‘Setting our Sights High’ a commission for the year 2000 part 2 - The World of Embroidery May 2000
- ‘Setting our Sights High’ a commission for the year 2000 - The World of Embroidery May 1998
- Workbox - April/May 1998
- Madeira News - Article from MADEIRA NEWS Autumn 1998
Other Makers in Stitched & Constructed Textiles