Sue Lancaster FSDC
Stitched & Constructed Textiles
Sue Lancaster draws, paints, dyes, prints, hand stitches, machine embroiders, makes textile artworks, accessories, soft furnishings and costume for performance. She is a rare animal these days because she has a BA Hons Degree in Embroidery.
The look of her work has changed considerably in her 46 years of practice but she has always expected to involve stitch, usually free-drawn machine stitch in her works for sale, exhibition or commission.
Sue researches a theme with observations on paper using a variety of media. Interpretations into textile processes follow, delving into her wide range of textile experiences. Some of the resulting works are quite realistic but she works on to develop a specific 'language' for each project, extracting a personal response and creating highly original pieces. Whether the piece is intended to be purely decorative or if it has a function Sue's concern is always to produce a high quality finish and to create works that are fit for purpose.
Since finding her own voice for her work in the mid nineteen eighties Sue has explored a personal response to her environment:-
- Landscape - in the biggest sense of Distance; across fields, hills and mountains, and also Detail; the plants, the hedges and trees, the nature and the natural as well as the man-made, the structures, the walls, the gardens and allotments.
- Seascape - attempting to capture mood, movement and the sense of air.
Sue is currently working on a theme that she has titled 'Growth', both as the growth of an idea and also in nature, as in how a plant structure develops as it grows. A current aspect to Sue's work is concerned with making use of her long-term stash of oddments, inherited haberdashery and a desire to move away from use of synthetic fabrics by using up what she already has and not purchasing any more in the future.
- 1971-2 Bolton College of Art, Foundation
- 1972-75 Loughborough College of Art & Design, BA Hons Embroidered Textiles
- 1976-77 Leicester School of Art Education, PGCE Art & Design
- 1992-96 Mansfield College of Art (Part Time), Licentiateship of the Society of Designer Craftsmen (Distinction)
- 1989 British Quilt Festival, 1st Prize Machine Embroidered Artwork
- 2001 Society of Designer Craftsmen, Membership
- 2013 Society of Designer Craftsmen, Fellowship
- 1977-84 Secondary School Art Teacher
- 1985 - present Freelance Textile Artist
- 1986-97 Supply Teacher
- 1997-2006 Part Time Lecturer in Textiles at Mansfield College of Art, South Notts College and Chesterfield College
- 2002-6 Member of Harding House Artists' Cooperative, Lincoln
- 2005 - present Established Stitched Up and Fleeced Studio, Sheffield as a space to create and a place to teach, including City & Guilds Textile Courses
- 2018/19 Bridlington Spa followed by Snape Maltings, Suffolk. 'See Sea'
- 2020 Snape Malting, Suffolk. 'Take A Look'
- Contemporary Textiles Fair, Landmark Arts Centre, Teddington.
- Art in the Gardens, Botanical Gardens, Sheffield.
- Quay Gallery Solo Exhibitions (mid July), Snape Maltings, Suffolk