Deborah Saunders LSDC
Stitched & Constructed Textiles
Deborah's current work explores familiar and functional items creatively positioned and stitched to form artworks that invite the viewer to take a closer look to recognise the detail. These items are usually seen as practical, purpose filling components, for many, to serve a purpose in our daily lives.
Inspiration is taken from exploring the positioning and placement of these items, considering the variety available; the ideas may come from a single piece or a selection. Each component is hand stitched and the stitches themselves are important and specifically placed. This adds to the process of the construction, making the neat stitches seem invisible.
- Diploma of Higher Education in Stitched Textiles - 2009
- City & Guilds’ Embroidery Part 2 - 2006
- City & Guilds’ Embroidery Part 1 - 2004
- Committee member of the Windsor and Maidenhead Textile group (Previously an Embroiderers' Guild branch)
- Society of Designer Craftsmen
- 'Transformations' Bankside Gallery London - June 2022
- ‘Looks Familiar’ Henley Fire station - December 2014
- ‘Outrageous’ The Attic in Pinner - June 2013
- ‘Outrageous’ Cow Byre Gallery, Ruislip - September 2012
- ‘Through the Eye of the Needle’ Cow Byre, Ruislip - July 2011
- ‘Momentum’ The Harvey Gallery in Guilford - September 2010
- ‘Designer Crafts’ At the Mall Galleries in London - January 2010