Jane Colquhoun MSDC
Stitched & Constructed Textiles
Largely self-taught as a textile artist, with an art school training and a background in arts teaching, Jane continues to experiment with stitched textiles processes.
From single line thread drawing and mark making onto various surfaces such as layered and collaged mixed fabrics and papers with graphite, ink and paint she explores the landscape, particularly the coastal environment of her home-town in Dorset. A series of postcards of local scenes for a group show became the starting point for the embroideries that she now produces, largely based around groups of figures in the environment.
She works with regular polyester and cotton threads on canvas stabiliser, without an embroidery hoop, having created her template from drawings and digital images, these are transferred digitally and worked manually as small thread paintings.
Jane is a member of an artist led Co-op in Dorset that runs the Boilerhouse gallery, where she has a regular exhibition space. She exhibits at other group exhibitions and galleries in South-West England and has work in collections in UK and abroad. She is a member of ‘Making Dorset’ and SDC.
- Foundation in Art and Design, Bournemouth and Poole College, 1980-81;
- BA (hons) Roehampton/University of Surrey: Combined Art/English, 1989-91;
- Goldsmiths, (PGCE); Art and Design, 1991-2;
- Adult Education courses in textiles: City Lit, London: Feltmaking/Body coverings,1995; Morley College, London: Experimental and Creative Textiles, 2000; Jenni Cadman- ‘Raising the Surface’/Free Machining, 2010.
Group and Solo Exhibitions
- 2020/21 Boilerhouse Gallery, ongoing Group show
- 2019 10 Bays Fine Foundation Gallery, Durlston castle
- 2018 Fifty Dorset Makers, Furleigh Estates
- 2017 Marshwood Arts awards, Bridport (Highly Commended)
- 2017 Evolver Prize 2017 top 100, Thelma Hulbert Gallery, Honiton
- 2017 Dorchester Arts Open, Dukes, Dorchester
- 2017 Fifty Dorset Makers, Wolfeton Riding house, Dorset,
- 2017The Observatory: Perspectives on Landscape, Society and Spirit, Exeter University
- 2016/17 ‘Present Makers’, Thelma Hulbert Gallery, Honiton, Devon, selected show
- 2016 Black Swan Arts Open, Frome, Somerset, selected show, (Highly commended)
- 2016- ‘100 cubed’ Artishe Gallery, ‘Wish You Were Here’ (postcards) Mulberry Tree gallery, ‘Interrogating Materials’- Allsopp Gallery Bridport, ‘To the Lighthouse’, Fine Foundation Gallery, Durlston
- 2015- Somerset Arts Weeks, Hill House, Shapwick,
- 2014- ‘Charley’s War’, Durlston Castle, Fine Foundation Gallery
- 2011 ‘Beginnings’ 2013 ‘Growth’ - Purbeck Collective, Durlston Castle
- 2011/2015 ‘Blue’, ‘The Art of Textiles’, ‘Drawing Open’, ‘Life Studies’, ‘Words Works’ L’Artishe Gallery, Dorset
- 2011 Group show, Courtyard Centre Hertford
- 2011 Group show, Palace Green Gallery, Hatfield House
- 2009 Coastal Creatives Gallery Southbourne, ‘A Stroll along the Prom’
- 2009/2016 Mulberry Tree Gallery (regularly selected exhibitor)
- 2007 Coastal Creatives, Kube Gallery, Poole
- 2007/2021 Boilerhouse Gallery, Corfe Castle (cooperative member and regular exhibitor
- 2005‘Extreme’, Study Gallery, Poole- documented/video group situation/ performance
- 1994 Cool Tan Gallery Brixton (Coloursplash textile banners)
- 1990 Solo Exhibition Lulham House Gallery, Roehampton
- 1988 Clothes Show live ‘Travellers Yarns’ (knitwear)
- 1987 London Fashion Week Olympia, hand dyed, hand knitwear.
- Art teaching (PGCE) in London and Dorset schools.
- Arts workshop leader in London and Dorset
- Artist in Residence - Nature Nursery (2016), Charley’s War, Fine Foundation Gallery (2014)
- Site specific artist/assistant artist in London in mosaic/raku ceramics (1992-3).
- Designer/ maker of hand knitwear in UK and Europe.
- Theatrical puppeteer/designer/performer
- Textile pattern writing (Handmade Living Magazine)
- Collections manager/curator of Joe Colquhoun’s comic illustrations: UK and Europe
- Gallery assistant Acanthus Gallery, Wareham Dorset
- King’s Fund Travel scholarship - Ravenna, 1991
- Highly Commended - Black Swan Arts Open 2016
- Highly Commended - Marshwood Arts awards 2017
- 50 Dorset makers, DVA 2017
- Art in Hospitals, Lulham Press 1994